Saturday, August 28, 2010

Let

http://darkys.ru/flat4299.html
Can we agree on that? It’s not a bad and it’s not personal. I’m not a brand, There’s a lot of fuss these days about “personal branding.” And though I make my living as a brandx consultant, I can sum up my feelings about personao branding in two “mostly bunk.” Some of it is tried-and-true conceptd with a lazy new label. Some of it is authora trying tosell books. Most of it is flat-ouyt misguided. The (mis)understanding argument. Branding is frequentlu misunderstood, so it follows that personal branding would fareno better. Too many people still think branding is only abougt whatyou say, not what you do.
According to this if your house has acrumbling foundation, your best move is to paintr it. This point of view results in exactly the wrongbbranding – and personal branding techniques. And the people who apply them will tend tobecome self-promotional drones. The utilitarian argument. Would the worl d be a better place if we all thoughyt of ourselves as brands andactedf accordingly? I mean everyone. You. Your spouse. Stan from Every single person at everh singlenetworking event. Your Play that one out in your head. I don’t believ that perceiving oneself as abrand – as opposee to, for instance, a person represents an advance for humanity.
The hierarchy Branding is a subsetrof life, not the other way Put another way, brands can learn more from people than peoplee can learn from brands. When my clients face a difficult brand I often recommend that one way to solvse it is to refer to the rules ofgood living. at no point in my when faced with a difficult personal have Iasked “What would Target do?” And I love The relationship argument. Brands arose from transactional relationships. some brands transcend this construct. But that doesn’t change the fundamentals.
Brands are signifiers within the sphere of You select the nameyou trust, and you expec t to get something of equal or greater value in Personal relationships are far more rich and complex. To reducer them to the purely transactional would, at the reflect a very cynical worldview. I’vre heard the counter-arguments: “I’m in the market for a new job. Aren’ t branding tactics relevant?” Or, “What about my professional expertise ? Isn’t that my brand?” Thosee arguments are valid, to a Specifically, to the point that you equatee personal branding with the accentuation of yourauthentic strengths. Anything beyond that is not branding.
I’ll be the first to tell you that a brancd is only as good as its perceptionse inthe market. But suggesting that any kind of perceptionh is thus reflectiveof “branding” is a logical You might possess expertise, and you might be perceive as such. That doesn’t make you a brand. If you’re in the job I’d certainly recommend doing some things that greatbrands do. I’cd suggest that you target your search, differentiate yourself and tell acompellinv story. But these aren’t good ideas because some brandswapply them. They’re good ideas becausr they work. Also, remember that greatr brands are builtthrough consistency, and in no othee way.
So if you just starg “branding” yourself to find a job there’s that coat of painr again – then I don’yt like your chances. If you didn’tr have a network of believers before your job it will be tough to create andactivate one. So, I You’re not a brand. You are many, many things, but a branxd is not among them. And that’s as it should be. Let’s spend less time trying to be good brandx and more time trying to begood people. The rest will work itselfr out.

No comments:

Post a Comment